Komen North Louisiana is the local source for funding breast cancer detection, support and educational awareness in North Louisiana. Through its community grants, Komen North Louisiana has invested almost $5.1 million in education, diagnosis, treatment and support programs here in the parishes of Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, DeSoto, East Carroll, Franklin, Jackson, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Tensas, Union, Webster, West Carroll and Winn provided by local organizations that serve uninsured or underinsured residents in our service area. 75% of the money raised in North Louisiana stays local to fund community and small grants. The remaining 25 % of net funds are invested in the Susan G. Komen Research Grants Program managed at the national level which funds scientific, evidence based, high impact breast cancer research. To learn more about Susan G. Komen’s research investment, click here. Since 1999, Komen North Louisiana has invested more than $1.5 million in research.
It is estimated that more than 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women in the US during 2018. The funds Komen North Louisiana grants to community programs in our service area have made a positive difference in the lives of those living with this deadly disease.
During the 2017-2018 grant cycle, Komen North Louisiana funding provided
- 1,153 no-cost screening mammograms for medically underserved North Louisiana residents.
- 12 breast cancers were detected in people who otherwise may not have had access to this life-saving information who are now able to seek treatment.
- 24 breast cancer patients with treatment assistance including medical care, temporary financial assistance including utilities, rent, childcare etc. and monthly support groups for women with breast cancer.
- 60 breast cancer patients with gas cards/transportation assistance to treatment.
- 4,413 people with one on one breast health education.
Where to access Komen North Louisiana funded services:
COMMUNITY GRANTS 2017-2018
- Delhi Hospital-Richland Parish Hospital: NELA Project Pink-No Woman Left Behind
- Through our continued partnership with East Carroll & Madison Parish, we will offer breast health education, transportation services & access to screening/diagnostic mammograms to uninsured/underinsured women. In addition, our coalition of Project Pink Cadets (local hair stylists serving as breast health advocates) we will provide a community-based approach towards increasing breast health awareness. Ultimately, these activities will result in a decreased rate of late-stage diagnosis while helping our communities better understand the importance of yearly mammograms. To make an appointment, call 318-878-6306.
- MLK Health Center & Pharmacy: Women’s Health Program
- Provides breast health education, screening & navigation services for underserved & insular women in NWLA. The program is designed to meet the needs of women who are at risk for late stage diagnosis due to psychosocial and economic barriers. Information related to the prevention and early detection of breast cancer are components of the program with two key elements being education to reduce the fear of breast screening and providing accessible entry into screening for 350 women. To make an appointment call, 318-227-2912 Ext. 5.
- LSUHSC/Feist-Weiller Cancer Center: Partners in Wellness-Free Breast Cancer Screening Project
To increase breast screenings and education to ladies in Northwest Louisiana.PIW offers free screening mammograms to the population of Northwest Louisiana regardless of a patient’s ability to pay. This program reaches out to the under-served and/or uninsured that have no other means to receive these cancer screening exams. To make an appointment, call 318-813-4020.
- Union General Hospital: Union Parish-Together we can be Cancer Free
To provide mammograms and educational outreach to low income, underserved women in Union Parish. The program will raise the awareness level and reduce the stigma of breast cancer through education on symptoms and screening. Greater knowledge will lead to earlier detection. To make an appointment, call 318-368-7072.
Breast Cancer Monthly Support Group Meetings: Meets on the fourth Thursday of the month from 5:30-6:30pm at The Breast Center at 1505 East Bert Kouns Industrial Loop (near Tinseltown) in Shreveport. You do not have to be a Christus Health patient to attend. All Survivors are welcome! For more information, contact Denise Tindall at 318-453-7674.
Gas Transportation Cards: Available for qualified breast cancer patients at CHRISTUS Cancer Treatment Center. For more information, talk to your social worker.
Gas Transportation Cards: Available for qualified breast cancer patients at Feist-Weiller Cancer Center. For more information, talk to your social worker.
Gas Transportation Cards: Available for qualified breast cancer patients at Northeast LA Cancer Institute. For more information, call Donna Nolan at 318-966-1953.
Temporary Financial Assistance: C. Wright Pink Ribbon Project provides temporary assistance to qualified breast cancer patients (ex. utility bills, rent) in Caddo/Bossier and nearby areas. For more information, contact Catherine Wright at 318-773-8464.